Application deadline for this position is Friday, May 26, 2023.
Position: Seasonal Urban Forestry Technician
Reports to: Director of Operations, Community Forestry Program Manager
Hours: Part-time, up to 20 hours/week, some evenings and weekends may be required
Pay Range: Hourly, $14-$18 per hour
Do you like trees? Want to get paid to take care of them?
Friends of Grand Rapids Parks is hiring seasonal help (June-October) to assist with the watering and basic maintenance of trees planted by our organization. This position will work in a team of two, operating a watering truck and the necessary equipment to water individual trees and complete basic tree maintenance on a weekly basis. Friends of Grand Rapids Parks is an independent, nonprofit enterprise founded in 2008, working closely with, but separate from the City, with the mission to the healthiest, happiest, most shade equitable city in America. It is our vision to support thriving parks and sustainable urban forest that actively support our community’s economic, environmental, and mental health.
- Safe operation of a standard-sized truck, potentially with a trailer in tow
- Set up and tear down of watering equipment: filling water tanks, properly using and storing hoses, basic mechanical/electrical maintenance as needed
- Watering of 150 trees per week around the downtown Grand Rapids area
- Additional tree pruning, mulching, and maintenance as needed.
- Shifts may vary, but average 4-6 hours a day, 3-4 days a week (20 Hours total/week)
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver's license and driving record in good standing
- Ability to navigate to and from specific sites efficiently
- Physical ability to lift and move objects weighing 50 lbs. or more.
- Physical ability to work outdoors and withstand a wide range of weather conditions.
- Must wear appropriate clothing and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) while onthe job ( pants, boots, safety vest, eye protection)
- Experience working with trees, landscaping, or operating trucks/equipment
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Ability to complete assignments independently
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- To apply, please email your resume and cover letter outlining your skills, experience, and why you are interested in the position to Lauren@friendsofgrparks.org
Friends of Grand Rapids Parks Mission and Vision:
We leverage city resources through community action in parks and trees to be the healthiest, most shade and park-equitable city in America! Our vision directly supports the vision of the City of Grand Rapids Parks and Recreation in creating and supporting a healthy, vibrant community.
When we are successful, the City of Grand Rapids Parks and Recreation is better able to achieve its mission to provide our community with inspirational experiences through the responsible management and collaborative stewardship of the City’s natural, educational, and cultural resources.
Equity and Values Statement:
Friends of Grand Rapids Parks approach our work the same way we hope people approach our parks and trees: joyful, free to move as they wish, and feel welcome and connected to the outdoors and Grand Rapids.
It is our shared responsibility to ensure all people, regardless of language, culture of origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, socio-economic status, or perceived physical ability feel welcome in the parks, amongst the trees, and as a volunteer at FGRP.
Our parks and trees are on land that has been cared for by generations by the Anishinaabek people. FGRP supports the expression of the Anishinaabek culture and Language throughout our programs.